Heart problems have become sadly become a prevalent part of our lives. Much of the blame goes to the unhealthy and unconscious eating habits people live by, while other reasons revolve around stress and anxiety. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in Americans. Heart problems only affect the heart, while cardiovascular disease impacts one’s entire circulatory system. If you look at health stats across the world, you will discover how heart problems are still the primary cause of death in many countries. For all health concerns, call AFC Urgent Care Methuen. Our physicians are here to answer any questions you may have about your health.
Different Heart Diseases
There are multiple conditions that fall under “heart disease.” Some can be from the result of poor health choices, but others can be genetic. Some of the several kinds of heart diseases include:
- Congenital heart defects
- Coronary artery disease
- Dilated cardiomyopathy
- Myocardial infarction
- Heart failure
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Mitral valve regurgitation
Foods to Avoid
Certain foods are terrible for heart health. Saturated fats and sugar are awful for overall health, but they are even worse for the heart with all other factors to consider. Maintaining a healthy diet is one of the best ways to avoid heart problems later in life.
- Fat, salt, and sugar- when you have an unhealthy heart, high amounts of saturated fat, sugar, refined carbs, and salt can make you more vulnerable to strokes or heart attack. Once you discover you are suffering from a heart problem, it is best to eliminate or reduce these from your diet.
- Bacon- bacon has loads of saturated fat, which also means loads of calories. This can spike your harmful cholesterol levels and low-density lipoprotein and make you fall prey to a stroke or heart attack. Plus, the high sodium and added preservatives are incredibly dangerous to the heart too.
- Red meat- pork, lamb, and beef are incredibly harmful to heart patients. They have high saturated fats and can increase cholesterol to dangerous levels.
- Soda- the most acceptable for heart patients is a minimal amount of sugar in a day. Soda cans are nothing but tons of sugar, more than is healthy for even an average person in a day. These can cause high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and ultimately fatal heart diseases. Best to avoid these altogether.
Foods Good for the Heart
Some foods are extremely good for the heart and body overall. Those foods include:
- Green leafy vegetables- you will do your weak heart a favor by eating lots of collard greens, kale and spinach, and other green crunch vegetables. They contain a wealth of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins.
- Whole grains- these contain all the three essential nutrients of a grain. Hence, by consuming these, you the best of bran, endosperm, and germ. The best whole grain foods are quinoa, buckwheat, barley, rye, oats, brown rice, and whole wheat.
- Berries- eat lots of raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries. They’re great for the heart.
- Avocados are rich in potassium and other nutrients.
- Fish oil and fatty fish are essential.